Knowing the different types of bets is instrumental in how you play online roulette. There are no limits on the wagers you can make and betting is broken down into two major categories: inside and outside bets.
Inside bets have higher risks and greater rewards:
- Straight-up: choose and place a bet on one number –payoff is 35 to 1
- Split: place a single bet on two adjacent numbers – payoff is 17 to 1
- Street: bet on three adjacent numbers in one row – payoff is 11 to 1
- Corner: when four numbers share a common corner – payoff is 8 to 1
- Six line: bet on six numbers in two adjacent rows – payoff is 5 to 1
- Trio: betting on the ball landing on 0, 1 and 2 or 00, 2 and 3 – payoff is 11 to 1
Outside bets have safer odds but lower payouts:
- Colours: choose if you think it’ll land on black or red – payoff is 1 to 1
- Odd or even: choose your number but 0 and 00 don’t count – payoff is 1 to 1
- Low or high: bet from 1-18 or 19-36 – payoff is 1 to 1
- Columns: bet on which of the three columns will contain the winning number – payoff is 2 to 1
- Dozens: choose if the ball lands in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd dozen – payoff is 2 to 1
There is also the En Prison rule in European roulette, for even money bets, when the ball lands on 0. You have a choice to surrender half of your bet or leave it there for another spin. If you win on the next spin your money is returned but if you again land on 0 or your number fails to come up then the bet is lost. Essentially the rule gives you an additional spin.